Click on the links below to preview selected pages from this course.
- Pathophysiology of HDFN and Blood group systems most commonly implicated in the disease
- Development of Anti-D
- Factors That Affect Production of Anti-D
- Primary versus Secondary Response
- Pathophysiology in Severe HDFN Due to Anti-D
- HDFN Due to Anti-D
- ABO HDFN
- ABO HDFN: Diagnostic Tests
- ABO HDFN: Expected Findings
- ABO HDFN: Treatment
- ABO incompatibility between a D-negative mother and a D-positive fetus eliminates the possibility of HDFN due to anti-D.
- HDFN Due to Other Antibodies
- Phototherapy helps to prevent which symptom of HDFN?
- For which of the following antibodies is the DAT most likely to be negative when testing a newborn for possible HDFN?
- Kernicterus due to high levels of unconjugated bilirubin can cause brain damage in newborns suffering from severe HDFN.
- Fetal Monitoring and HDFN Treatments
- Fetal Monitoring
- Prenatal Treatment
- Choosing Donor RBC for IUT and IVT
- Postnatal Treatment: Exchange Transfusion
- Criteria for Transfused Red Blood Cells
- Other Postnatal Treatment
- All of the following criteria for donor RBC to be used for an exchange transfusion relate to both ABO HDFN and HDFN due to anti-D:Less than or equal t...
- Which procedure used to obtain a fetal blood sample to monitor severity of HDFN can also be used to deliver intravenous transfusions?
- Perinatal Testing Programs
- Review of Rh Immune Globulin
- RhIG Prophylaxis
- RhIG Uses
- RhIG and Variants of D
- RhIG Policies for Weak D
- Clinical Relevance of D Phenotypes
- RhIG 'Failures'
- Passive Anti-D following RhIG Administration
- Protocols to Deal with RhIG-Derived Anti-D
- When given during pregnancy, RhIG may cross the placenta and sensitize fetal D-positive RBCs.
- Ectopic pregnancy is an indication for administering RhIG to an Rh negative woman.
- A Rh positive individual has produced an anti-D antibody. Which D variant possesses the ability to stimulate this production of anti-D? (Choose all th...
- What dose of RhIG can suppress immunization of 30 mL of D-positive whole blood?
- Post-delivery Testing of RhIG Candidates
- Screening for Fetomaternal Hemorrhage (FMH)
- Rosette Test
- Quantifying FMH
- Kleihauer-Betke (KB) Test
- Flow Cytometry
- Calculating RhIG Dosage
- Which of the following tests are suitable for quantifying the size of fetomaternal hemorrhage (FMH)? Select all that apply.
- A rosette test may be FALSELY POSITIVE if the mother is weak-D positive.
- The appropriate dosage of Rh immune globulin (RhIG) to administer post-delivery to an Rh-negative mother delivering an Rh-positive child is calculated...
- Summary and Conclusions
- Further Reading
Level of instruction: Intermediate
Intended Audience: Clinical laboratory technologists, technicians, and pathologists. This course is also appropriate for clinical laboratory science students and pathology residents.
: Pat Letendre, MEd is a laboratory technologist, educator, and consultant. Currently, she consults full-time in the areas of transfusion medicine, education, professional development, and use of the Internet in education. Ms. Letendre is the Webmaster for Canada's transfusion safety officers and the TraQ website coordinator. She holds a Masters of Education degree in adult education from the University
and a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Manitoba
Reviewer information: Erin Tretter, MT(ASCP), is currently the STAT Laboratory Supervisor at Penn Presbyterian Medical Center in Philadelphia, PA. She received her BS in Medical Technology from California University of Pennsylvania and has nearly 8 years of experience as a Generalist, including Blood Bank, Hematology and Chemistry. Erin is the Blood Bank Clinical Instructor for the Clinical Laboratory Science Program at St. Christopher’s and has 4 years experience teaching immunohematology concepts and laboratory procedures to Medical Technology students. She has also provided blood bank training for laboratory technologists and medical students. Erin is currently obtaining a Master’s in Business Administration from Florida Institute of Technology where she is a member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor’s Society.