Here are some examples of non-conforming events and what type of action to take:
- A physician calls one time because she cannot find a report she is looking for on her patient that was released yesterday. Correction: Provide the report to the physician immediately.
- The same physician calls for the second time complaining that she has not received laboratory reports several times. Corrective action: Determine the cause for repeated missing reports.
- A quote for outreach services was not accurate, but was corrected right away. Correction: The inaccurate quote was filled out correctly before it was returned to the customer.
- A quote for outreach services was not accurate and caused excessive overcharges. Corrective action: Determine the cause for the inaccuracy and why it was not found before the charges were made.
- A turnaround time (TAT) report for laboratory results on emergency room patients is showing an increasing trend, but has not yet exceeded the established threshold. Preventive action: Determine the cause of the potential problem in TAT.