The American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCLS) is a private, non-profit professional organization of more than 9,000 laboratory professionals. It provides "advocacy, standards setting, professional and continuing education, and personal and professional development" for its members. To maintain membership, the associated fees must be paid.
ASCLS provides the following memberships:
- Professional - professionals certified in in clinical laboratory science
- Community - all professionals, regardless of certification or education
- Ascending Professional - students within 5 years of graduating from a clinical laboratory studies program
- Developing Professional - students enrolled in a clinical laboratory studies program
- Emeritus - any ASCLS member whose combined age and years of practice total greater than 90 years
ASCLS does not provide certification. However, ASCLS created the Professional Acknowledgment for Continuing Education (P.A.C.E.), a system that records continuing education credits that can be used to meet other certification organization requirements. P.A.C.E.-approved programs are accepted by ASCP BOC for recertification, and for license renewal in all licensure states except Florida. Florida has additional requirements and separate provider fees.