The American Medical Technologists (AMT) is a nationally and internationally recognized private, non-profit certification organization and membership society. It has been certifying professionals since 1939. Most of its members are medical technologists.
A professional must comply with the Certification Continuation Program (CCP) every 3 years to maintain their "active certified member" status. This involves performing and recording activities that maintain a professional's competency. Such activities include trainings, continuing education, and authenticated work experience. The CCP receives and stores documented evidence of those activities: training transcripts, post-certification transcripts, employer verification for years of employment, and authorship of articles or presentations.
AMT offers the following certifications:
- MT - Medical Technologist
- MLT - Medical Laboratory Technician
- RPT - Phlebotomy Technician
- CMLA - Medical Laboratory Assistant
- MDT - Molecular Diagnostic Technologist
- CLC - Certified Laboratory Consultant
- RMA - Medical Assistant
- CMAS - Medical Administrative Specialist