Treatment - Group 1—Amanitin (Amatoxins)

How to Subscribe
MLS & MLT Comprehensive CE Package
Includes 145 CE courses, most popular
$95Add to cart
Pick Your Courses
Up to 8 CE hours
$50Add to cart
Individual course$20Add to cart
Need multiple seats for your university or lab? Get a quote
The page below is a sample from the LabCE course Mushroom Poisoning and the Laboratory's Role in Monitoring Patients. Access the complete course and earn ASCLS P.A.C.E.-approved continuing education credits by subscribing online.

Learn more about Mushroom Poisoning and the Laboratory's Role in Monitoring Patients (online CE course)
Treatment - Group 1—Amanitin (Amatoxins)

Vomiting, lavage, or catharsis should be initiated unless vomiting has already occurred spontaneously. It is also recommended that activated charcoal slurry should be given every 4 hours for the first 24-48 hours. In addition, administration of penicillin and Silybum marianum (a milk thistle) within 48 hours after ingestion of the poisonous mushroom may possibly prevent severe injury to the liver. An antidote, Legalon® SIL is now available in the United States for Amanitin poisoning through an open NIH clinical trial. Early administration of the antidote is reported to reduce the mortality rate from 50% to 10%. Physicians suspicious of Amanitin poisoning should call the toll free 24-hour hot line 866-520-4412. Once it has been determined the situation qualifies, a supply of the antidote will be shipped overnight free of charge to the hospital pharmacy. However, The Poison Control Center of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia recommends that health care providers should cautiously consider any recommendations from the hotline and make clinical decisions for their patients on an individual basis.