Triple packaging is required for category A substances.
The image on this page illustrates the correct packaging scheme. Packaging must include:
- A leakproof primary receptacle that is glass, plastic, or metal
- A leakproof secondary packaging
- Absorbent material in sufficient quantity to absorb the entire contents, if the primary receptacle were to leak or break. (This is not required if the infectious substance is a solid.) The absorbent material is to be placed between the primary receptacle and the secondary packaging
- An itemized list of contents, enclosed between the secondary packaging and the outer packaging (preferably enclosed in a zip lock bag).
- UN specification packaging