CMS has published strict guidelines regarding compliant performance of proficiency testing. The following guidelines must be followed:
- PT samples or partial samples may NOT be forwarded by any personnel to other laboratories for testing or additional reflex, consultative, or confirmatory examinations.
- Results obtained by referral to another laboratory, if reported to the PT agency, may result in serious sanctions.
- A reference laboratory in receipt of a PT sample for testing, should NOT perform the testing and should notify CMS of this breach via appropriate channels.
- The laboratory must not discuss, share, or involve other laboratories in the examination process or results interpretation.
- Interlaboratory communications regarding testing results are NOT permitted until AFTER the result submission date has passed.