Click on the links below to preview selected pages from this course.
- Introduction to the Medical Laboratory
- The Medical Laboratory Consists of the Anatomical Pathology Laboratory and the Clinical Laboratory
- Overview of the Anatomical Pathology Laboratory
- Introduction to the Anatomical Pathology Laboratory
- Overview of the Clinical Laboratory
- Who Staffs the Clinical Laboratory
- Staff of the Clinical Laboratory
- The clinical laboratory is the place where patients' blood, body fluid, and other specimens are processed, analyzed, and reported. It is staffed by me...
- Which of the following laboratory roles requires a 2-year associate degree?
- Which of the following laboratory roles is responsible for collecting blood specimens?
- Clinical Laboratory Departments
- Data Management
- Specimen Collection and Processing
- Which of the following specimens are commonly tested in the chemistry department?
- Within the specimen collection and processing department, a phlebotomist will use a lavender-topped tube to collect blood for a complete blood count (...
- Immunology and Serology
- Transfusion Services
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Tests for Hepatitis B and influenza are performed in which department?
- The hematology department performs which tests?
- Which department is responsible for performing compatibility tests for patients who may need blood transfusions?
- Other Testing Sites
- Point-of-Care Testing (POCT)
- Physician Office Laboratories (POL)
- Reference Laboratories
- Reference laboratories offer a narrower array of laboratory tests than smaller and mid-sized hospitals laboratories.
Level of Instruction: Basic
Intended Audience: This course is intended as an elementary introduction to the operation of a clinical medical laboratory. It assumes that the learner has little or no background in medical practice or clinical laboratory science. It is ideal for those who desire an introduction to the operation and function of the laboratory, and the qualifications and mindset of those professionals who staff it. This course would be ideal for those contemplating a career in any clinical laboratory field, sales representatives who will be visiting clients in the laboratory, and need an introduction to provide context for their future sales contacts, and anyone else who has an interest in the field and desires an introduction.
Author Information: Julia Clendenin is a content and graphics developer for MediaLab, Inc. She graduated from Georgia Institute of Technology with a B.S. in Biochemistry and a B.S. in Literature, Media, and Communication.
Paul Fekete, M.D. is the CEO of MediaLab, Inc. He was formerly Assistant Professor of Pathology at Emory University, and was Director of Laboratories for Gwinnett Health System, near Atlanta. Dr. Fekete has extensive experience teaching, and is the author of numerous journal articles, and several book chapters. He additionally has extensive experience in instructional design.
Reviewer Information: Alexandru Casapu, MBA, MLS(ASCP)CM, PBTCM has over 20 years of experience as a medical laboratory scientist, section supervisor, and laboratory manager. He is the former Director of Clinical Laboratory Technology Program at Georgia Piedmont Technical College. He is currently a Program Director at MediaLab, Inc. Alexandru holds BS degrees in Biology and Medical Technology from Clark Atlanta University and an MBA from the University of Georgia.
Rory Huschka, M. Ed., MT(ASCP), has over 20 years of experience as a medical technologist, technical supervisor, professor, and manager. He is the former Program Director of the Medical Laboratory Science and Medical Laboratory Technician Programs at Brookline College. He is currently a Program Director at MediaLab, Inc. Rory holds a BS degree in Medical Technology from North Dakota State University and a Master of Arts in Educational Leadership.