Click on the links below to preview selected pages from this course.
- Ethical issues in Health Care
- Definition of Ethics
- Ethical Issues In Healthcare
- Allocation of Resources
- Privacy and Confidentiality of Patient Information
- Protected Health Information (PHI) and HIPAA Privacy Rule
- De-identification of Patient Information
- Conflict of Interest
- Scenario OneYour department supervisor has informed you that the budget for your department supplies has been frozen and is encouraging everyone to li...
- Scenario TwoYou work in the emergency department (ED) of the local hospital. A woman from your neighborhood is brought by ambulance to the ED. That ni...
- Scenario ThreeYou are the Manager of Diagnostic Imaging at a hospital that is part of a healthcare system. You have been asked to present on the topic...
- Code of Conduct
- Code of Conduct
- Policies and Procedures
- Professional Competence
- Responding to Occurrences and Documentation of Corrective Actions
- Scenario FourA new piece of equipment has been introduced into your department. The equipment will be used in the patient care environment. What are y...
- Scenario FiveYou work as a phlebotomist in an outpatient clinic. Several employees have called in sick today, leaving you and one of your colleagues w...
- Professional Behaviors
- Professional Characteristics and Behaviors
- Report Reckless or Unethical Behavior
- Whistleblower Policy
- Scenario SixYou have been working as a night-shift nurse in the local hospital for three weeks. A patient call button has been pressed just as your co...
- Scenario SevenYou work in patient scheduling. One of the quality initiatives for your department is improvement in wait time from request for appointm...
Target audience: This course is intended for all healthcare professionals who, directly or indirectly, impact patient care.
Author information: Barbara Cebulski, MS, MLS(ASCP)CM has over 40 years of experience in the medical laboratory profession as a technologist, section supervisor, and laboratory manager. She was an Inspection and Technical Specialist for nine years with the College of American Pathologists in the Laboratory Accreditation Program and, until her retirement in 2015, was Program Director for MediaLab, Inc. Barbara holds a Masters in Instructional Technology from Georgia State University.
Reviewer information: Alexandru Casapu, MBA, MLS(ASCP)CM, PBTCM has over 20 years of experience as a medical laboratory scientist, section supervisor, and laboratory manager. He is the former Director of Clinical Laboratory Technology Program at Georgia Piedmont Technical College. He is currently a Program Director at MediaLab, Inc. Alex holds BS degrees in Biology and Medical Technology from Clark Atlanta University and a MBA from the University of Georgia.